August 2, 2007

Amarcrinum
X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii


This is one of my favorite plants in my garden and I had to share a little information about with you. Amarcrinum is the result of a bi-generic cross between Amaryllis belladonna and Crinum moorei. I purchased my bulb from a local garden center five years ago and waited for two years before I was finally rewarded with the spectacular lightly fragrant funnel shaped flowers. This is the third year in a row that my plant located in Gainesville, Florida (USDA hardiness zone 8b) has flowered and is now on its third flower stalk of the season.



My plant is located in a partly sunny location in very sandy soil. The leaves are approximately two inches wide and two feet long. My plant goes dormant every year. I give it very little care other than water and am graced with these flowers each summer. Most publications recommend this plant for zones 7-10. Try this underutilized bulb in your landscape.

No comments: